Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Discovering Emma Week Tag

Yes, I know, this is an other Jane Austenish tag in a very short amount of time, but when it rains it pours (in a good way), and I really like Emma, so I couldn't pass this up. Heidi ~ Lady of Anorien is hosting a Discovering Emma Week blog party, so just pop over to her blog and check it out. It's pretty awesome!

Okay, Now for the questions:
1) Have you ever read Emma?
Ahem, well, sort of. I read most of it, and by the time I got two thirds the way through it, I put it down to read some other book, because I knew how Emma ended. I've got to read that again...
2) If so, is that how you first made her acquaintance? (If not, feel free to elaborate!)
Well, I actually watched the Emma with Kate Beckinsale first. I was about ten or twelve then, and I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite. I guess what I mean is, I had kind of expected it to be a lot like Pride and Prejudice (1995), but it was much different. I've grown to enjoy it much more, though.
 
3) Do you have a favorite film adaptation? 
Yes, I think that would be 2009 mini-series of Emma. I think it did a lovely job with accuracy they didn't have to fit the whole story into a two hour movie. Besides that, Romola Garai was a brilliant Emma. Oh, and did I mention the costumes!?

 
4) Favorite dress(es) from that film?
Speaking of costumes, yes, I do have a few favorites. (-: I have to say the one in the picture above is one of them.
And the embroidered pattern on this one is gorgeous! I would very much wear this dress. I love the colors on it as well. Sorry I couldn't find a full length view of it, but this one shows the design pretty well.
I also really liked Jane Fairfax's dresses. I think this one was very classic and tasteful, which I love.
 
5) Share a line you love from either the book or movie/s—several if you like!
Oh, gosh, I always have a hard time with this. Okay, since I don't have a lot of time, here is just one of my favorites. (Mr. Knightley has some pretty great quotes (-: )
 
6) Is Emma one of your favorite heroines? Why or why not?
I have to say she probably is one of my favorite heroines (one of many) because she and I have a lot in common. I can sometimes be blind to the most obvious things around me, I tend to make tons of resolutions and tire of them early, and I think helping other people is fun, even though I get in the way more often then not. (-; In that sense, I think we are a bit alike, but what makes her one of my heroines is that she learns a lot of lessons the hard way throughout the story, and bears it well.
 
7) What is one of Emma’s strengths (good qualities)?
Only one? Well, she has quite a few, but one I really like is that when certain people point out her mistakes she doesn't try to justify herself, but tries to mend her ways.
 
8) Describe in one (or two…or three) sentences, why Mr. Knightley is so wonderful.
Umm... Well, he is very intelligent and a good judge of character. Despite the fact that he has to deal with so many annoying people from day to day, he treats them all courteously. Thirdly, he always puts Emma's best interest before his own.
 
9) Why do you think Mr. Knightley and Emma are so well suited to each other?
Well, I think that they are well suited to each other because they are opposites in many ways, but they also have some great similarities. Mr.Knightley always thinks before he acts, whereas Emma tends to make decisions impulsively which creates a balance. Both of them are smart and have good hearts, and I think that similarities like that make them even more compatible. I don't know if I described that very well, but I think you'll get what I mean. (-: I'm sure they get along wonderfully, well most of the time...
 


 
10) Would you rather spend a week in Highbury with the Westons—on Abbey-Mill Farm with the Martins—or in London with the John Knightleys?
I think I would enjoy spending a week on Abbey-Mill Farm with the Martins. It would be nice to get to know them better, and I think that a week on an old-fashioned farm with such real and unpretentious people as the Martins would do me good.
 
Thanks for reading, and definitely go check out the blog party at Along the Brandywine! Which film version if Emma is your favorite?
~Lizzy
 
 








9 comments:

  1. Hey, you're the only other person I've seen that picked Abbey Mill! I thought it would be sort of fun, because the Martins weren't rich people who would have to keep up airs, you know? Unlike Emma, I didn't think Robert Martin was all that uncouth and rude. :-)

    I actually saw the Kate Beckinsdale film first (after reading the book). The Mr. K in that one seemed SO old, and after seeing his villain in the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie, I can't see that actor without being creeped out. :-)

    And I think you described Mr. Knightley and Emma's relationship perfectly and succinctly. Isn't it great to have such great couples to look up to? (Besides Twilight couples, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so awesome to meet the Martins! I wish Jane Austen had put them in the book more often. (-:
      Wow, I haven't seen the 2009 Sherlock Holmes, but that would be really interesting to see 'Mr. Knightley' as the villain.
      Oh, thanks! Yes, Mr. Knightley and Emma are one of the greatest fictional couples! I think there should be more like them. (Instead of the Twilight type XD )

      Delete
    2. Ooh, you should watch the 2009 Sherlock. Robert Downey, Jr. is so funny, and its pace really keeps your attention. And the score is AMAZING. The villain is really 'get inside your head' creepy, which is why I can't handle the Beckinsdale Emma any more. :-)

      Delete
  2. Emma is my favorite Jane Austen story <3 It's so sweet, and I love the humor in it.
    My favorite version is the 1996 version with Gwyneth Paltrow, but I like the 2009 one a lot, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The humor in Emma is awesome! I haven't seen the Gwyneth Paltrow version, but from what I've heard in the last couple of days, I can't wait to see it. (-:

      Delete
  3. Elizabeth,
    Thanks so much!! :) I'm so very glad you joined in and I enjoyed your answers! I really like how you pointed out how Emma doesn't try to justify herself.... And yes, I know what you mean about Mr. Knightley and Emma's fitting together. ;) And I love that line from Mr. Knightley! "Men of sense do not want silly wives." And then Emma's response in the '09 about Harriet's being just the girl for him--and then his expression. Quite priceless.... :)

    (P.S. Thanks also for the follow! ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Heidi, I've really been enjoying your blog party, and I had fun doing the tag. (-: Emma and Mr. Knightley are so great together! They're both wonderful characters.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love Emma! It's the only Jane Austen book I'e ever read to the end and I adored it! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a great story? I really want to reread it. Maybe this summer I will. (-:

      Delete

Please share your thoughts with me! I LOVE to connect with my readers, and I promise I don't bite.

xoxo Lizzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...