Thursday, October 16, 2014

Parting Ways


   The heat from my chai tea latte warms the palms of my hands. I sip slowly, letting it warm my insides, not wanting to leave this bench. The russet leaves shudder at my feet as the north wind exhales an icy breath on the almost-empty street. I pull my jacket tighter, glancing up at a passer by in anticipation, only to be disappointed. It's not Lisa. Maybe she's running a little late.
   The café behind me is starting to close. I glance at my watch. I hope she's not still mad at me for sending her to live with our Aunt. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe it had made a rift between us that would never be mended, but it was the best thing for her, wasn't it? I toss my paper cup in the trash. Sometimes big sisters have to do what's right without looking back. Maybe Lisa would always hold a grudge against me for leaving her with Aunt Gertrude, but this way she'd be taken care of, something I promised Mama I would make sure of.
   I can't stay here any longer, I have a flight to catch. Perhaps we'll meet here again someday, like we used to before our parents death. Perhaps by then Lisa will have forgiven me. I lift my pack and walk away with a determined tread. Each step, leaving the autumn leaves scattered on the brick street behind me.

   Here's a short piece of fiction I wrote, inspired by this picture. I haven't really written much for a little while, which means I haven't written anything for about two weeks..., so it's a little rough, and the title could be a bit more creative, but I thought I'd share it with you guys since I haven't really shared any of my writing with you yet. I mean, this blog is called Incidents of a Literary Nature. (-: Tell me your honest opinion on it, no matter how brutal it is, and advice would be very welcome. I need as much advice and criticism as I can get!
xoxo,
   Lizzy

9 comments:

  1. That was AMAZING! Honest truth!! :D I really enjoyed it!! :)
    btw I remembered I hadn't replied to your comment about meeting cyberly. Yes I see :D Of course I am glad to have met you cyberly too! Great word! :D
    ~Ev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, Evie, and I'm glad you liked it. And I've, got to agree with you, cyberly is a great word, whether it's real or not. (-:
      ~Lizzy

      Delete
    2. Awww shucks thank you Lizzy!! :D Cyberly new word as of
      3
      2
      1
      NOW! :D
      ~Ev

      Delete
  2. I really like this, and it goes with the photograph so well. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah, I had a lot of fun writing it. And I love the photograph too, Pinterest always has the best pictures of everything!
      ~Lizzy

      Delete
  3. This is so lovely. It's nice to read raw pieces of writing sometimes, and it's so very nice for this time of year as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Hannah. I'm glad you enjoyed my story. Fall is probably my favorite time of year to write about(-:
      Lizzy

      Delete
  4. It's so nice! I love that picture and I think they went together perfectly...only I didn't realise it was fiction at first, lol. I'm thinking, 'Oh dear, this is a sad post'. *ahem* I LIKE it and I like that it's fiction, lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting, Cait. That's so funny, no, thank goodness my life is not that sad! I should have mentioned it was a story at the beginning of the post. XD

      Delete

Please share your thoughts with me! I LOVE to connect with my readers, and I promise I don't bite.

xoxo Lizzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...