Saturday, April 11, 2015

4 Ways to Buy Books Without Breaking the Bank/ Book Haul

   You know that feeling when you really want to buy that book you've been drooling over for a month, but it costs anywhere between $10-$20, but you really know you can't afford since you're saving for whatever you've been saving for for months?  As a bibliophile, I know that feeling all too well.  However, as I cannot help buying books, here are a couple of solutions that have helped me.

  1. Go to used book stores.


I bought these two beautiful plays at a cool used bookstore, Atalanta's Music and Books, last month while spending a day in Bisbee.  I'm a big fan of the movie, My Fair Lady, so I thought it would be cool to have the play, and as for Hamlet, my mom has an antique pocket sized copy which I'm scared to read for fear of loosing one of the pages, so I thought I needed a (slightly newer) copy of my own. Plus these were on the sales rack. Need I say more?

    2. Find deals at online book sellers.

In March I decided to treat myself to some new books because I hadn't bought any in a while, and I really wanted needed all of these for my already overcrowded bookshelf.  Now there are a lot of great online booksellers, and sometimes I will find the same book at several and compare prices, but my favorite is Abe Books. They usually have the best prices and a lot of options. Plus, a lot of the time, the shipping is free.  Sorry if I sound like a salesperson, I just really love buying books there.

I got North and South and The Phantom of the Opera in pretty good condition with only a little wear on the covers. I've been wanting to read both of these books for quite a while and I was ecstatic to receive them in the mail. (The stickers on the covers make me sad. Whose brilliant idea was it to put stickers on covers of books? Why not on the inside of the front cover? )-: Anyhow, rant over, I still haven't read them yet, but I like to stroke their covers and anticipate reading them soon.

I got Replication by Jill Williamson and The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet  by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick in hardcover and both were in great condition, especially TSDLB which looked new. An other plus, their both really good books. (-:

   3. Second hand stores are unexpected treasure troves.

Guys, I'm not going to lie. More than once, I've bought an entire paper sackful of books just from a second hand store, thrift shop, whatever you want to call it, because I couldn't help myself. My best friend knows what I'm talking about, because she had to talk me into sorting my mountain of books and buying, you know, only six or seven. (-:  It's been a while since I've been second hand book shopping, so I'm not going to use any on this haul. (Also, I was to lazy to get more books an take photos of them.)

   4. Buy books from your library.

found on Pinterest
That sounded weird. But my library usually has a couple of bookshelves with books they're getting rid of for really affordable prices. I usually have to dig a bit through the outdated encyclopedias and poorly written romance novels, but when I do find something, it's really worth it.  I got an almost new(!) copy of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury there for barely anything.

And now, finally, we get to see how much each book cost.
  • Hamlet ---------------------------------- $1.00
  • My Fair Lady -------------------------- $0.50
  • North and South ----------------------- $3.99
  • The Phantom of the Opera ----------- $3.06
  • Replication ----------------------------- $3.48
  • The Secret Diary of Lizzy Bennet --- $4.04
  • Fahrenheit 451 ------------------------ $0.50
The Grand Total is (drum roll please) $16.57

Overall, I feel like my book buying fetish isn't all that expensive due to these methods. (Although I still do occasionally buy a new book at Barnes and Nobles...) Tell me in the comments below how you save money on books.  Do you use any of the same methods?


xoxo,
   Lizzy

25 comments:

  1. I don't really like buying stuff, but books are awesome! I mostly use my library, but occasionally, I'll buy from Amazon. Also, people like to get me Barnes and Noble gift cards, so that's where most of my books come from. I need to see if I have any thrift book stores in the area! I'm so glad you got those deals! I hate spending more than $10 dollars on a book! (Actually, more than 5, but sometimes it can't be helped..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ways to obtain books! I love finding a good book at my library and Barnes and Noble gift cards are always a win. (-: YES!!! I hate spending tons of money on books, especially since I read them so quickly...

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate to the piles of books from the used book sale. But my mom never tells me to be more selective because she is way worse about it than I am :) I used to make fun of her obsession with the used book sale, but now I'm obsessed with it, too. It's hard to pass up 50 cent books!
    I don't think I've commented on your blog before, but I really like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's awesome. My sisters constantly tell me I should buy fewer books or sort my shelf. Like that's going to happen. XD And yes! 50 cent books are the best.
      Aww, and thanks so much for commenting Amanda, you're really sweet. (-:

      Delete
  3. Oh wow!! I do that too! There's this little shop that I go to that the man (who's from Denmark) knows me and he always saves books for me which is lovely of him. It was there my collections started XD.
    It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! That sounds so lovely and story bookish! And I love deals on books, I buy books like some girls buy shoes. XD

      Delete
  4. With saving for college and other adult boring stuff, I haven't been able to spare $20 to buy even one book. These are great tips, dear! I need to stock up on some new books! (Not that re reading old stuff isn't fun, but you know... NEW BOOKS!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I entirely understand. New books are so unafordable at times! I love finding deals on books I've wanted to read for ages. And it's kind of fun hunting for them. (-:

      Delete
  5. I love this! There's nothing like having a new book to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting, and I totally agree. Books are some of the greatest joys in life. (-:

      Delete
  6. Great tips! I need to use these to fill my overflowing bookshelves :) One can never have to many books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are entirely right! I love finding new books for inexpensive even when I haven't read all of the books on my shelf. XD

      Delete
  7. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes! This is exactly how I buy a zillion books without spending a zillion dollars. Thrift stores, used book stores, buying used books online, and library book sales. Can't live without them!

    BTW, I tagged you here on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I wouldn't find it hard to survive without all of these great resources for book shopping. (-:
      Thanks for tagging me!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your advice. Thrift stores really are the best! :) I really want to read the My Fair Lady! Oooo. It looks so amazing. :) sorry. (smiles sheepishly) You and I know that I'm really weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Thrift stores are incredibly awesome for used books. I'll loan it to you if you like. (-: And if you're weird, it's in a good way. (-:

      Delete
  9. Giirrrrlllllfrriiieeennndddd you are beast! This is fantastic! Normally you could buy one young adult book for that price and you managed to get SEVEN! That's fantastic! I need to go book shopping with you sometime *nod* :D You also have great taste in books. I love more than half of the books you bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWWWW! You're the best, Chloe. Yes! If you're ever in AZ we should go book shopping together. (-: Thanks. XD

      Delete
  10. Hey there! I found your blog through your comment on Go Teen Writers...love this post, so original! I refuse to buy books (typically) that cost $10+...even like $8 is pushing it for me. I shop a lot at Half Price Books in Columbus when I visit my grandparents there. Another great place to buy books is Sam's Club! They don't have a huge selection, but I just bought a more recently published book (Panic by Lauren Oliver--so good!) for only $5. I really like your writing style! Looking forward to more posts =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anne! (Do you go by Anne or Anne Marie?) Thank's so much for following and commenting. It is always so great to meet new people through blogging! That's so cool! I didn't know that Sam's Club sold inexpensive books. I'll have to go there the next time I'm in the city. (-: Thanks again for the sweet comment!

      Delete
  11. This is basically how I book-buy too!! I haven't bought second-hand online yet, but there's this epic looking site called betterworldbooks.com that has free shipping worldwide and a HUGE range of cheap books. ^-^ Sometimes they're still $10 but that's better than the $20 new, imo. I haven't bought from them yet, buuut I'm going to. (Internet shopping makes me nervous, lol. I'm such a weirdo.) I rely mostly on second-hand-stores for my books. And library sales! It totally is possible to be a happy bookworm and not buy new all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THRIFTBOOKS!!! Seriously, I PAID for 13 books, but only received 11 because of our lovely mail man. But it was only $43, it is the best website ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I need to check out that website! That is an amazing deal. Ugg, I hate when that happens; I always get really impatient when I order books online because I worry they'll get lost in the mail...

      Delete

Please share your thoughts with me! I LOVE to connect with my readers, and I promise I don't bite.

xoxo Lizzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...