Thursday, April 2, 2015

I Must Go Down to the Sea Again


I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; 
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.
 ~Sea Fever, by John Masefield


It has been ever so long since I've posted guys, and I've missed you all lots. Thank goodness I've had a little more free time lately, and so I've decided to share some pictures of my Spring Break.
   We went to San Diego for a week in March, and had a great time just hanging out at the beach and doing a little bit of site seeing. It was great to be able to unwind and just chill without thinking about assignment due dates for once. (-:

We hung out at the beach a lot. Here's a picture of my siblings, our friend Mary, and I at Ocean Beach. It was a little cold, but lots of fun.

Some friends of ours were doing a trip from Washington to Hawaii on the schooner Martha and as they were in San Diego at the same time as we had spring break, we got to hang out with them a lot and we even got to go on a day sail!
Me, standing on the end of the
bowsprit and pretending not to be
scared of falling into the water.

Because sail boats are awesome!
Two of my sisters and I were able to spend a week on the Martha last summer, and so it felt really good to be back on the water again. We had to motor though because there was no wind.
The cockpit.

Hanging out on the bowsprite.
If it's not already obvious, the bowsprite is my favorite place to hang on the boat.
Me looking 'normal'

Me looking like a dork, which is actually
normal for me...

Ahhh, the water's so pretty! I miss it already.

We took an other escapade with our friends, but this time, it was to the San Diego Zoo. (Guys, I think this happened before, but I'm really bad with chronological order, so please excuse any randomness.) That place was huge. And even though I'm not really an animal person (I bet everyone's going to unfollow my blog after I confess this.) it was an incredible experience. There was a trolley that went over the zoo, and double decker tour buses, and the landscaping was beautiful. Not to mention, there were lots of really cool animals. Surprise, surprise!  I have to admit, I kind of wanted to take one of the koalas home.  Or a tiger. Wouldn't it be really cool to have a tame tiger?


Don't tell me I'm too old to be riding a giant extinct tiger.
Aren't flamingos so fabulous and wacky? Imagine being an explorer, and 'dicovering' the flamingo for the first time. I would probably have a panic attack.


We also spent a day at Balboa Park, which is a giant park with museums, beautiful plants, and all kinds of cool things. This building was a theater, that, I believe, used to be a Spanish mission. I love the Baroque architecture! (It's Baroque, right? Somebody correct me if I'm completely wrong... XD )
My sisters, Mary and I hung out at the natural history museum there because they were do a King Tut exhibit with exact replicas of what was inside his tomb. It was incredible, and I wish I could show you pictures, but it was probably not allowed, and anyways, my older sister had the camera. (-:


Speaking of which, the photography credits go to my older sister, Michaela. Go check out her instagram because it's awesome. And I'm not just saying that because she's my older sister. (-:

I've missed you all lots, and I'd love to hear about what you've been up to. (-: What did you do over Spring Break?  And if you were the first person to discover flamingos, how would you react?
xoxo,
   Lizzy

14 comments:

  1. That all looks like sooo much fun! I kind want to go sailing now! The bowsprit looks extremely scary! And yeah, I hate when you get to San Diego, but because I'm from Arizona, it's too cold to go comfortably swimming... By the way, how did your sister (?) get up that camel!?! I went to Flagstaff for Spring Break a few weeks ago. If I discovered flamingos, I'd probably freak out and then start laughing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AZian too! It was extremely fun to be sailing again! The bowsprite's not all that scary since it has netting on either sides in case you fall, but standing on the end was a little. XD
      Lol, my younger sister has the advantage of tallish older sisters whose shoulders she can climb on. I, on the other hand was too heavy for anybody to want to lift up there. (-;
      Flagstaff is awesome!!! I went there for a cousin's wedding a couple of summers ago, and loved it.
      Hehe, flamingos are kind of hilarious, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. I love the sea, but I've never been sailing... I should do that sometime. It looks like you've had the most lovely of spring breaks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah, it was a lovely spring break. You would love sailing, it is sooooo much fun. I hope you get to do it soon. (-:

      Delete
  3. That looks like a ton of fun! I've never been on a boat before; my mom tends to get sea-sick so we avoid them. The pictures are so gorgeous. I love the one of you all on the giant tiger. You're never too old to climb on something as cool as that. =)
    I probably would've fainted after discovering a flamingo. They're such odd things. xD
    ~Adi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! And I hope you get to try sailing sometime. Sea sickness isn't usually a big problem if the water is calm. (-: Hehe, thanks, I'm glad someone thinks that climbing on giant tigers has no age limit too. (-:
      Lol, flamingos are strange looking creatures, aren't they?

      Delete
  4. Aww it looks like you had a great spring break girlfriend! That's awesome! And that quotes at the top of the page- WOW. Is it part of a book? I lurv it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chloe! It was tons of fun. Yes, it's part of a poem by John Masefield called Sea Fever. Here's the link to the full poem if you'd like to read it. (-: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/242552

      Delete
  5. Sailing looks like so much fun. I am not really an animal person either, and I have a cat. We torture each other, I knock her off my bed and she jumps on my head and keyboard. Great pictures and can I say you rock that hair cut. So cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun! Hehee, that sounds like me if I had a cat. (-: Aww, thanks, you're so sweet; it's a pretty easy haircut to take care of. XD

      Delete
  6. Elizabeth!! I missed your posts so much! I was so excited to see this. Awesome post - looks like such an incredible trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Hannah! It was lots of fun. I missed blogging. You're really sweet, and I always look forward to your posts. (-:

      Delete
  7. You sail! That's so completely cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little. I took lessons with my sisters this summer, it was lots of fun. (-:

      Delete

Please share your thoughts with me! I LOVE to connect with my readers, and I promise I don't bite.

xoxo Lizzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...