Tuesday, July 7, 2015

I forgot how interesting history is...

   You know how sometimes you really love something, but you forget how much you like it, and then you encounter it again and you go 'woah, this is awesome!'? Well, that's what happened to me with historical fiction.  It used to be the main thing I read three years ago, but then I got into science fiction, fantasy, and some occasional classics and I kind of forgot about it for a while.  Last month I got three historical fiction books by Elizabeth Wein for my birthday, and as I was reading them it kind of brought back how much I actually looove learning about different civilizations and times in history.  I started remembering some really excellent historical fiction books I'd read, and it came to me, I should just read historical fiction for an entire month!  So I've made a list of books I want to read this month.
   1. A Coalition of Lions by Elizabeth E. Wein. (Book 2 in The Lion Hunters series)
I promise this book is much better
than the cover.
 2. Under the Persimmon Tree by Suzanne Fisher Staples

3. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

4. When the Sirens Wailed by Noel Streatfeild 

5. Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

6. The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff

7. Moccasin Trail by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

8. The Iron Lily by Barbara Willard

9. Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt

10. Carry on Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham

11.  The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

   Now that I look at this list, I know it's rather unrealistic since I probably won't be able to read all of these, but I'm super excited to try. (-:  If this goes well, I may very well do a themed reading list every month.  Maybe next month I'll read all of the Charles Dickens books on my shelf that I haven't read yet, or maybe famous French authors (Les Miserables is challenging me tauntingly from my shelf full of unread books.)  What theme should I do next month? Have you read any of these books on my list? What did you think? I'll update you as to how it went at the end of the month. 

Wish me luck!
   ~Lizzy


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE several of these books! Master and Commander and the whole series -- so wonderful. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch and Across Five Aprils are both excellent. And I liked Moccasin Trail a lot too. Good luck with your reading plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, and I've just started Moccasin Trail! I can't wait to start Master and Commander, it's been on my TBR list for a about a year. And thanks, I'm excited about all of these books. (-:

      Delete
  2. Carry On Mr. Bowditch is my mom's favorite of favorites. You have so many great books on this list. Get to it girl! You are in for a wonderful ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, and it was excellent. And I'm excited to continue reading all of the other books. Thanks for the encouragement. (-:

      Delete
  3. I read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and Moccasin Trail. Both are really good!! The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a sad one, though. Good luck with your reading! Looks like a wonderful list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting Moccasin Trail right now! I've read other books by Eloise Jarvis McGraw, and they were all good, so I'm excited. I'd hear The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is sad, and now I'm a little scared to read it. )-: But I like sad books if they're good, and from what I've heard, I'm sure this one will be great!

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is a really nice collection of books!
    Is The Lantern Bearers the sequel to The Eagle of the Ninth?
    There are so many books here that I haven't even heard of, like The Iron Lily which looks really awesome.
    What is the Lion Huntress series like so far? The cover for the second book is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Coalition of Lions...that is one epic book title! I haven't read any of these, but I already see some that I would like to read on this list, because I love historical fiction too! I've read Les Mis (well, almost 100% of it... that is one seriously monstrous book right there, haha) but it is really good. And Dickens...! Jane Austen...! Soo many that I like. Summer book lists are the best though, so enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, that looks like an awesome list of books! I haven't read any of them, but they look super cool. "I'll read all of the Charles Dickens books on my shelf that I haven't read yet," < Aaaah, yes! I've been (slowly but surely!) reading Great Expectations, and man it has proved itself a challenging read! ha. It's awesome, though. Dickens is hilarious. Good luck on your book stack!

    peace,
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me! I LOVE to connect with my readers, and I promise I don't bite.

xoxo Lizzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...