Friday, October 30, 2015

pieces of october

Anne of Green Gables was one of my favorite book series growing up, and I'd have to agree with Anne about Octobers.:

there's nothing like it.
  the rain drizzling down the car windows as you sip hot chocolate on the way home from school.
walking through campus in a sweater and still feeling the chilly wind.
stepping on the first crunchy leaves.
decorating the dinning rooms with pumpkins.
listening to your family make thanksgiving plans.
that rush of overdue homework that sort of melts away when you stop to breath in the scent of the dying year.
and people seem a little bit friendlier, a little more approachable.
as the air grows colder, people gather closer for warmth.
tea becomes an absolute necessity.
and you can finally wear those striped wool socks and boots for the first time.
sweaters, sweaters, sweaters.

and the birds are migrating again.
and there's a sort of melancholy drenching nature as it dies away into russet and brown.
a melancholy that is so beautiful it hurts, and somehow, it feels so peaceful and full of joy.
maybe because the trees know that their dying leaves won't turn into dust for nothing, but will continue to nourish the next generation of leaves.
the world is full of a hushed magic that makes itself apparent to those that stop and notice the little things.
all of this, and more, is October.

Tell me what you love about October in the comments below,
lots of love,
~Lizzy

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and I love all those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet words, Skye!

      Delete
  2. As Anne of Green Gables said, "I am so glad I live in a world with Octobers", or something like that. The way the light twinkles off the red and purple hues on the trees around twilight is something I could watch every day and never get tired of. Perfect sweater weather also brings back memories of a simpler time when all October meant to me was leaf piles and hay rides without a care in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't October's the best, though? I love Anne of Green Gables. It has some great quotes. Ohhh, and the trees at dusk are beautiful! If I had to choose a favorite season, I'd probably have to say Autumn. I've never been on a hay ride, now I really want to do that! Thanks for the lovely comment, Susanna.

      Delete
  3. I love October... but the thing is.. it begins to get hot again which I don't like very much.. :(
    When we lived someplace else the trees used to change colour too and it was georgous! I somtimes wish we hadn't moved. Anyway. Have a lovely October Lizzy! I need to email you too! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. I love how you described how the melancholy is so beautiful it hurts. I definitely feel that way during the fall, especially November. It has been a warm October, so I have high hopes for November. Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "tea becomes an absolute necessity." SCORE SCORE SCOREEEE. This is definitely one my favorites about fall. And I love how you described this whole thing -- so poetic and realistic and gah. Definitely so much gAH. ♥ What's my favorite thing? Ummm letmethinkaboutthat--LEGGINGS. Haaha. Definitely. And sweaters. And all the honeycrisp apples omg.

    love,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me! I LOVE to connect with my readers, and I promise I don't bite.

xoxo Lizzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...