Sunday, January 31, 2016

Learning to be Cultured

Have you ever felt about as cultured as a cabbage? And no, I'm not talking about the fermented kind.  It just so happens that my best friend, Ekaterina and I feel just this way.  I'm going to let Ekaterina take over to tell you how we've decided to start our new series of blog posts, Learning to be Cultured.
I lent Lizzy the book, Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I learned While in Paris.  In the book Jennifer L. Scott, recounts different stories of what she experienced as an exchange student in Paris.  As she tells her stories, she also teaches her readers the secrets of Parisian culture.  One of those secrets is to become cultured by becoming a patron of the arts, enjoying the small things of life, and having knowledge of culture besides what can be found in a gossip magazine.  Ok, that was three lessons, but they all intertwine. :-)

After Lizzy read the book, she decided to try some of the secrets from the book, and we wanted to start this series.

I must say that I've always regretted how ignorant I am of my own culture as well as others, and while discussing the book with Ekaterina I came up with the brilliant idea of starting a blog series about learning to be more cultured human beings. Ekaterina then had an even better idea.  What if we asked our fellow bloggers to join in with us each month as we explored different areas of the arts and the unique aspects of different cultures.

On the last Sunday of each month, we will write a blog post about something cultural, and it could be anything from a movie, book, poet, composer, or something else.  At the end of each blog post, we will surprise you with what the next month's topic will be.
This month's topic will be...
a movie from the Criterion Collection!

We would love it if you'd join us in this link-up because, A) It's going to be a lot of fun B) We'll get to learn about even more cultural shtuff through your blog posts, and C) the more the merrier!
gif. This is how Whovians feel when we get to hang out together.
Because who doesn't love a gif of the DW cast dancing?
We can't wait for next month! Also, leave a comment below about what aspect of our culture or another you'd like to learn more about.

xoxo,
Lizzy + Ekaterina

19 comments:

  1. Heyyyy it's E&E!
    I'd like to learn more about art cuz I'm sadly lacking in that area... This sounds fun!!!
    *gasp* Charade is on this list!!! I may have to rewatch that and review it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I know, right?
      Yes! Art is definitely a subject we are hoping to learn more about. Oh, Charade is the one with Audrey Hepburn, right? I love that one(-:

      Delete
    2. I never noticed that both of our names start with E. That's so funny!
      Charade! That is a fun movie. Here's a fun fact, I learned from wikipedia. Director Stanley Donen and screenwriter Peter Stone have a cameo appearance in the movie. This is where it happens, "When Reggie goes to the U.S. Embassy to meet with Bartholomew, two men get on the elevator as she gets off. The man who says, "I bluffed the old man out of the last pot — with a pair of deuces" is Stone, but the voice is Donen's. Stone's voice is later used for the U.S. Marine who is guarding the Embassy at the end of the film."
      I'm so happy you're joining us! :-)

      Delete
    3. Here it is! http://ashleyalphabet.blogspot.com/2016/02/learning-to-be-cultured-charade.html

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Skye! I hope you're able to join us. (-:

      Delete
    2. Yay! I'm so glad you can join us! :-)

      Delete
  3. Neat idea!! So, you'll pick a classically American movie (or Canadian, if you're me) and then blog about the new cultural insights you now have? So cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia! Yeah, there's a link to the list of movies, and there are actually quite a few foreign ones in there too. (-:

      Delete
    2. Hi Olivia! I'm so happy you can join us! :-)

      Delete
  4. OMG THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA!! I feel uncultured all. the. time. I mean, I read a lot, but I tend to read mostly books set in familiar places....I wish I read more widely. BECAUSE I LOVE LEARNING ABOUT OTHER CULTURES!! *flails* Can't wait to read more posts of yours on this. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel uncultured too! I know a lot about American culture, but I know nothing about the African culture, for example. All of what I know about different cultures comes from reading historical fiction and eating different types of food, so it will be interesting to look at culture through other medias besides books and food, even though food and books are pretty amazing. :-)

      Delete
  5. This sounds awesome! I love learning more about the arts and cultures...I can't wait to see where you guys take this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I also can't wait to see where this series takes us. :-)

      Delete
  6. How cool! I might have to participate in this if I get time. :)
    And I love that gif! I haven't seen that one before, which is weird because I'm a hard core DW fan. Matt Smith has got the moves! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love it if you join, Lois! Isn't Matt Smith so cool though? It's one of my favorite DW gifs. (-:

      Delete
    2. It would be amazing if you joined us!
      That gif is really funny! :-)

      Delete
  7. I at least want to try to participate. I recently felt like such a country bumpkin when eating out with Mom and a friends at a restaurant; I felt like I could barely comprehend the menu much less pronounce things.
    So gourmet food for one. I think I need to learn more opera and ballet. Definitely music (I kept a textbook for such a purpose) and painting/drawing/sculpture. Well, everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, Livia! This month we are focussing on foreign cuisine, which will be fun, and we are definitely planning on studying opera one month. (-: I definitely hope you can join us. Thanks so much for you lovely comment. (-:

      Delete

Please share your thoughts with me! I LOVE to connect with my readers, and I promise I don't bite.

xoxo Lizzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...